Wednesday 2 September 2009

Windows 7 system recovery

Having successfully upgrading my laptop to run Windows 7 I was in the process of installing my applications when unfortunately towards the end of the list I installed something that broke my installation resulting in a blue screen of death every time I boot the system.

I restarted my machine and gratefully accepted Windows offer to attempt to fix my machine. After much whirring Windows 7 restarted and hey presto I could log in again - fantastic!

Actually not quite so fantastic as I had hoped, as it turned out that the recovery process had uninstalled the majority of the applications I had previously installed successfully.

This included Office 2007 which I had activated. When I tried to reactivate having reinstalled I was told that I needed to ring Microsoft as I had exceeded my number of activations - hmmm, not such a smart recovery process.

My advice would be not to activate anything after a Windows 7 install, until you are happy that everything is loaded and working ok.

Wonder if creating numerous restore points would have helped ...

AB

No comments:

Post a Comment